Question

How to stop Cipralex

I'm on Cipralex (10mg an day) for about a year now. Was prescribed by my doc for anxiety.

I've been experiencing side effects like severe weight gain and erectile dysfunction. I've decided to stop using it. And see how it goes.

I want to know what is the best aproach in stopping it without getting withdrawal symptoms.

I dont want to go see the doc and pay R500 for consultation only to be told how to stop it.

Actually, to my mind, telling you how and when to stop using a medication is part of the doctor's job the first time he sees you and part of writing the prescription competently. I would not favour using suh a drug long-term just fo an anxiety disorder, which will respond very much better to CBT counselling, and without the side-effects ( and probably costing less than a year of Cipralex, too ).
SOme people do indeed experience some withdrawal problems if they stop abruptly especially if they've been taking a higher dose for long periods. Gradually tapering off the dose is usual;y advised, and this can be done by halving the dose taken for a while, or taking a dose on alternative days, or eventually both. One method advised ( personally, I have never prescribed this particular unaccountably popular drug ) is ; Initially alternating between
10mg and 5mg every other day. Then 5mg a day, then 5mg every other day, and finally 5mg every third day.
If unpleasant problems arise, its best to return to the preious dose, and to consult the prescribing doc. You can also ask your pharmacist.