Question

Husband complains of hunger
My husband and I have been following the low GI way of eating for about 2 months, but of late my husband consistantly complains of being hungry at night. We have our dinner around 6p.m., and then from about 8 he complains that he is so hungy his stomach hurts. I have to admit, he is not at all active, and is quite a coach potato, although he will not admit it, but I have to wonder if he is really hungry or if he just thinks he''s hungry, and is boredom eating. He is admant he is hungry!

I on the other hand have learned (and am still learning) to listen to my body, and often when I think I''m hungry, I introspect a little, only to find it''s not actually hunger! I then go and do something, and I''m fine.

Our dietician has him on 3 x protein an 2 x carbohydrate, which I supplement with loads of veggies. He never finishes his dinner, saying it''s too much. Is it then OK for him to have 2 provita with Marmite at 08:00 to " see him through: He''s usually in bed by 8:30 so I''m worried that he''s eating too late, which is going to hampr his weight loss efforts.

Your advice will be apprecited

Dear Hungry Hubby's Wife
Your husband can certainly split up his supper into two smaller meals which he can eat at 6 and 8 pm. However, I would recommend that if he still experiences a hungry, hollow feeling associated with pain after eating, that your hubby should have a medical checkup because he could have gastritis or an ulcers which produces such symptoms. Rather safe than sorry. First find out if he is not suffering from a stomach complaint and if he is given a clean bill of health, try getting him to do some form of exercise during the day like going for brisk walks for 30 or more minutes. The exercise will also help for weightloss and make him less lethargic.
Hope you can pinpoint what is causing these symptoms.