Question

Husband is suffering from gout and is reluctant to take medication due to side effects.
I would apreciate it if you could refer me to an excellent rheumatologist in Cape Town who has a good knowledge of how to best administer medication for the gout patient. My husband has had an operation on his ankle, where "gout crystals" were found. He now has symtoms in his toe and cannot run(Which is his passion). His GP does'nt want to rec. medication due to the side effects. I believe he needs to be controlled as he cannot run and is in constant pain. He is not overweight and follows an extrememly healthy diet, and follows all the guidelines suggested for a diet for gout sufferers . I hope it is possible for you to do this.
M.Hamman

Mary-ann, I don’t really know a good rheumatologist in CPT, but why don’t you just see a different GP and ask him to prescribe the treatment. I’ll try to find out for you from our people in CPT if they know a good rheumatologist and let you know. Just mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za so that I have somewhere to send the specialist’s details. Good luck.