Ask an expert

07 Dec 2005

Husband molested by father

My friend's husband was molested by his dad when he was still young and his dad killed himself (dad) when he (husband) was 5 years old. This is affecting their relationship badly. How can she help him. I know the best will be if he sees someone to help him through this so how can she get him to see someone without pussing him away. Please any advise will help becuase I don't really know what to tell her.

Thank you in advance
Answer 395 views

01 Jan 0001

SHe can speak to him about how much she cares about him and his well-being, and how she wories that these ugly events in his childhood may be having a negative impact on him, which could be helped --- and persuade him to see a psychologist to work on these matters. That shouldn't push him away. Such issues are generally too complex for a spouse to be able to help specifically, except by sympathy and support and love.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18601 votes