Question

04 Apr 2007

Hyper then Hypo Thyroidism
At age 18, I was told I had hyperactive thyroid, was on Neumercozole for 5 years and then had partial thyroidectomy. Next TFT's were normal and I checked pulse rate periodically. At age 46, I was told I suffered from Carpal Tunnel and had bilateral ops - 3 weeks off work in 2005. At age 47, after family trauma and car accident, had a dpressive incident and told I suddenly had high BP, tachycardia, and bordeing on almost coma lack of thyroxin. Angiogram recommended but only after they could sort out thyroxin - 2 weeks off work in 2006. Last saw doctor about 4 months ago, and next visit in 2, but the symptoms - tired/fatigue/lerthargy of befor thyroxin treatment, which I still take, is reappearing, and I lost about 8 kgs of weight over 10 weeks immediately after thyroid therapy started. I have regained all as well as started snoring again. Afraid that Doctor will book me off again for a couple of weeks as boss is still sceptical about the last 2 years incidents. What to do or is it mental?

Unfortunately, some of the methods of treatment for an over-active thyroid, both surgical and drug-based, can also then produce an under-active thyroid. Carpal Tunnel syndrome associated with low thyroid states, I have indeed seen. But this matter is so medically complex you need to discuss it with your physycian --- it's not mental, but these physical conditions can cause or aggravate mental problems