Question

Hypo Binge
I do cardio vascular training at the gym at medium-high intensity for a minimum of 50 minutes a day. I have been trying to lose weight (I'm a strict vegetarian) and have been restricting my carbohydrate intake considerably and drinking dairy-free fruit smoothies to get me through the day. Today I got a terrible hypo and when I got home I was all shaky. I wolfed down a smoothie and ate almost half a bag of Nature's Source Strawberry & Yoghurt Muesli at 20h00 at night! Do you think I will gain weight from this terrible carb binge or could it be worked off tommorrow at the gym? I'm quite depressed about sabotaging my weight loss!

Dear Panic
It is a fallacy that carbs will make you gain weight. Firstly carbs have a low energy content of only 17 kJ/gram (fat provides 37 kJ/g) and because unprocessed cabs contain dietary fibre, this 'dilutes' the energy content even more. Your body needs carbs to provide you with the energy you require to do all this exercise and to prevent hypoglycaemia. You need to eat some unprocessed carbs at every meal and to use an energy drink before and during exercise to prevent these horrid dips in blood sugar levels. Cut down on your fat intake instead and also make sure that you are eating enough to prevent your body going into 'starvation' mode and switching off all its weight loss systems.
Take great care