Question

Hypoglycemia - require scary facts
Hi CyberDoc,

Could you please help me out? My mom has been diagnosed with low blood sugar but she isn't taking this diagnosis seriously enough. :'-) She spends a lot of her working hours in the car, and comes home excessively thirsty and hungry. As soon as she walks through the door, she gets stuck into white bread to calm her shaking and monstorous hunger.

From what I hear, this is precisely the wrong thing to do, and if she continues to go without food, and then binge on white bread and other 'bad' carbohydrates, this could lead to full blown diabetes, not so? (She's already passed out, in days gone by, from this problem)

She gets annoyed when my dad and I lecture her, but she listens to advice and articles on the internet, so I thought I'd get sneaky! Could you perhaps give some scary facts on low blood sugar to make her wake up and look after herself better?
She's very stubborn :'-) but we love her and want her around for many years to come....

Thanks! & Kind Regards..

Wendy, you can stop worrying, hypoglycaemia is not the beginning of diabetes, but you are right in saying that she is handling the whole thing wrong. Mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll send you something on hypoglycaemia and also a specific diet. Good luck.