Question

Hypoparathyroidism
My son was diagnosed with the above in Nov 2002. His calcium was very low. In fact they could not even pick it up in his urine. He is on chronic medication namely Calcium Sandoz Forte and One Alpha. He has just turned 20 and was loosing his hair. His growth was also affected. Could you please tell me do you think his hair will start growing again? He says it looks as if it has started growing again. Would like to know more.

Dear Concerned Reader
If your son is being treated for this disorder then he will regain his normal functions including the hair growth. Although this is a difficult condition, the advent of hormone treatments has made a vast difference. The hair loss is probably a reaction to the stress of a serious illness and the loss of weight. When he regains his weight and has recovered from this illness, his hair will start growing again.