Question

HYPOTHYROIDISM, CONCENTRATION PROBLEMS
I am a 25 year old female student. I have been diagnosed with a mild hypothyroidism. My thyroid levels (i dont have them with me on the medical script now) did fall within normal range but my GP says its not at a level it ideally should be. So i have been on 0.1 mg Eltroxin for past 4-5 months. I know i should take it everyday but i dont and when i do take it everyday it is not at the same time everyday. Nevertheless my question to you is, how severe can hypothyroidism cause memory and concentration problems. I have difficulty concentrating sometimes when i study. Its not due to over-studying, or not taking enough breaks, or something troubling my mind, or distractions. I''m not bored at all with the work either. I will be concentrating one minute and the next thing i know it, my mind has wandered off and its 15 or 30 mins later or even an hour later. I have been to a psychiatrist and hypnotist and they dont think there is anything wrong with me. I have a BSc degree and currently in 5th year of another degree. Please help. I think my life would be much more productive and happier if i knew how to sort out this problem. By the way i am also pre-diabetic and suffer from animal dander allergies. I am constantly exposed to the allergen, since i have pets that share same bedroom as me.
Thanks.

Cat

Hypothyrodidism can have a severe effect on your concertration abilities and it is important to take your medication regularly every day. Your doctor should re-check your thyroid levels and analise your body's response to the medication.

Being pre-diabetic can also effect your concentration abilities. It is important to control your insullin levels with regular exercise (40 minutes, six times a week), as well as a sensible diet.

You can supplement your diet with Omega 3 & 6, royal jelly, Zinc and selenium. These are easily obtainable from a health shop.

Remember that good sleep of at least 8 hours per night is imperative to enhance good concentration.

Dr Anrich Burger