Ask an expert

19 Dec 2002

I' am bulemic. What now?
Hi! I am a intellegent 25 year old proffesional woman who has diagnosed myself with Bulemia Nervosa according to lots of academic literature which includes the DSM-IV. Do I start looking for help with you? I can not yet say it out loud and this is the first time I have actually admitted it. ( Good for me) Please help me I am fighting this all on my own and I am NOT winning
Answer 339 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Reader
At least you have realised that you have a problem and that you need help - this is the first step. Please go for some professional help because this problem is too serious to try and cope with on one's own. You need to contact a clinical psychologist (look them up in the phone book, or if you live in the Cape Town area, phone the Kenilworth Clinic at (021) 797-1400, they can also possibly refer you if you live in other parts of the country) and a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings, but keep in mind that many people will be on leave over the Festive season). These professionals will help you uncover what underlying psychological problems are causing this destructive behaviour and how you can learn to cope with it and start eating sensibly again.
I am holding thumbs that you will have the courage to pick up that phone and start seeking help.
Take great care
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9249 votes
66% - 17779 votes