Ask an expert

23 Jun 2011

I am the worst sleeper
Sleeping for me is really a problem...because of all the following reasons:
1. I sleep 3 hours on average and I wake up, I am one of those people who jumps out of bed immediately once I wake up. I am normally in front of the tv in the lounge from 2am, when I wake up.

2. I have night terror - I have had this as long as I can remember, I can track it back to primary school. I scream as loud as I can, while asleep, experiencing the worst type of fear imaginable. My boyfriend has to wake me up and calm me down, every night just about. And then it takes me about 30mins to calm my heart and stabilise. It is always a concern when I have to sleep at other people'' house or similar situations, as it is quite embarrassing.

3. The times when I do sleep, I snore. great. And I have irregular breathing. My boyfriend often has to wake me up because he is either not sure that I am breathing, or I am not exhaling. what actual remedy is there to this?

The result of all of this is, I don''t like sleeping next to people. Or at people'' houses. I often avoid sleep completely when I am with people I am not completely comfortable with.
Please help!
Answer 485 views
Sleep Expert
sleep expert

01 Jan 0001

There are a few problems here. Firstly, it sounds as though you have what is known as a sleep-related breathing disorder. In simple terms, that means that a breathing obstruction is interfering with your quality of sleep. It is probably also the cause of the "night terrors", because you will register fear when you are not breathing in your sleep.

This is not a difficult problem to resolve, but you will need a sleep test, and then advice about the right kind of treatment.

Watching TV in the middle of the night is a good way to guarantee that you dont get back to sleep! This problem we usually manage with behavioural techniques, and not with medication. It is, in the right hands, not an especially difficult problem to sort out.

But you will need to be referred to a sleep doctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.