Question

I feel weak
I am 30 years old and almost all my life i always feel weak and tired and when i go for check up there is nothing wrong with me. I am slim therefore i think it is my energy levels because i have a low appetite. What can i do to boost my energy levels and appetite?

Dear Marsh
I trust that if you have been feeling weak and tired for practically your whole life, that the doctors have checked your thyroid function, insulin and blood glucose levels and tested for anaemia (iron- and/or vit B12-deficiencies)? If they did and the tests were negative, then it is feasible that you are not taking in sufficient energy (particularly carbohydrates), as well as B vitamins, and minerals like iron and calcium). I would suggest that you try taking a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn Forte, plus a calcium supplement like MenaCal.7 for 2-3 months to see if this will boost your appetite. As regards your diet, it may be a good idea to use a diet rich in low-glycaemic index (GI) carbohydrates. Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. Using low-GI carbs would help to keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steady for longer periods, thus providing more energy for activities like exercise. Although you probably don't feel like it at the moment, doing some form of gentle exercise like going for a walk in the fresh air every day for 30 min, will also improve your appetite and your blood circulation.
Hopefully these changes will help you regain your energy and yest for life.