Question

24 Apr 2006

I need serious help....is there a thing called marriage protocol
I've moved to the states with my family 1.5 years now.
The problem is now, I'm going home for a visit this coming Sept with my son and my husband expects me to go to his house (my in-laws house).
I don't understand since I feel it's up to me to choose which house I wanna go to, my parents or his. After all it's just a visit.
He says that's how marriage works he says thats the marriage protocol. Since I'm his wife and I'm going to SA I should be based at his parents, why can't I be based at my parents house??.
The problem is our family leaves in the same area. Like 5 mins drive from each other.
You know sometimes I really don't understand this african-marriage thing. Somehow I feel the african-marriage thing it's very oppressing to women.
I feel that being married should not restrict me in certain things. Like this visit, I'm the one whose visiting therefore I feel I should be able to choose where and what I would do when in SA.
Firstly it will be very uncomfortable for me to stay at his house and my husband knows that. I don't know any woman who's comfortable the most at their in-laws that at their homes.

Pls advise what should I do, is there the right way? what about how I feel??

Thank you all in advance for responding.

Hello Zanzi,
I'm sure our other readers ill have many useful comments to make here. Sounds like there's a clash here of diferent attitudes to marriage, to relationships, and to diferent cultural traditions. I don't claim to be an expert on African marriage traditions, but it does seem to me at times that some men these days use African traditions like a buffet, selecting those aspects that suit them, and this may include some which are significantly restrictive of a woman's rights and privileges, and ignoring others, which include a man's duties. I agree with Me, here --- if you ndiscuss it with him calmly, can he not understand your viewpoint, and can't there be a compromise, with some time spent staying with each family ?