Question

i need you
Dear Doc, only recently found your page, I am like many others you deal with and like some of them, know that I am doing wrong by eating the wrong stuff or overeating and yet I still do it. I watch all sorts of diet programmes, read and listen to diet/eating programmes to help the obese and find myself often munching on something whilst I am watching these programmes and still thinking to myself that I should be adhereing to what they are saying....I know that I sound confused and I most probably am, but how do I stop feeding myself unnecessary snacks and food without the guilty and not so guilty feelings. How do I come to know what is good for me or not.because in my eyes everything I eat is *healthy* foods. I am 51yrs, I AM MORBID OBESE, and NO, I dont like to be like this because there are days that I can hardly walk and get out of breath very quickly. I am on meds for the thyroid, highblood pressure, diabetes, dvt, anxiety and depression, I also have a low iron rate. Every day I wake up and decide TODAY IS THE DAY that I change my life and yet 2 hours in, I find myself munching on something and then I sleep, sleep sleep for most of the day to try and stop me from eating more. its a round circle and I just dont seem to stop the spinning. Would really be interested to hear what you have to say. Be Blessed for helping us all. Regards lulu xx
Eating Disorders Expert
Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert

Hello Lulu,
Well, it appears while I have been away from the forum for a while, that there is plenty of peer support happening. That's great and I encourage it. I must, however, make mention of one caution. For as much as one of you might have found great benefit from following a diet for wheat intolerant individuals, it does not necessarily mean that it is going to have the same response universally to everyone who feels discomfort from eating wheat. From what you have written, I would suggest that you look at your eating behaviors and identify those that are conducive to your comfort eating or eating that is not done consciously. A word of warning to anyone who eats in front of the television. Look at the movies, where soneone will eat a colossal barrel of popcorn while being distracted by a fast-paced thriller! If you suspect that you may be intolerant, please get it confirmed by a registered medical specialist. Lulu, I am not sure whether you have considered seeing a therapist and exploring whether your eating behavior is a distraction from emotional difficulties that you are experiencing and hiding away from. It's just a consideration. Similarly, you might benefit from being thoroughly assessed by a dietician, preferably one who specializes in eating disorders and disordered eating. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Graham