Ask an expert

09 Jul 2005

i really dont know what to do and its making me HATE myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont know what to do. I wrote on here last time and 2 ppl answered which helped. The teen expert said it sounds like i could have ADD. For a long time i have felt that i might have ADD. Noone listens to me though. I dont really talk to my mum because she isnt around a lot and well we just dont talk. My dad is schizoprhenic. I tried to tell him i thought i had ADD but well you can probably guess he just talked a load of rubish back. I am quite close with my teachers seeing as i'm head boy. the biggest reason i am head boy is because i was really naughty andnearly got chucked out of school but turned it around. All my targets are high but i still seem to underachieve even though its a year into my gcse. I 've tried top hint that i think theres something wrong with me and how hard it is for me to concentrate but they just dont listen. They always say everyone finds it hard to concentrate or all teenagers are like that. BUT whati dont understand is how come i feel so frustrated and none else does. None realises how hard i find it, how often and how much i cant concentrate. Even in exams once i loose the attention i cant get back inot. the other day i nearly got sent out the test cos i kept fidgeting but i was really borde. HOW comes everytime someone talks to me i just dont listen. everytime i strat thinking of other stuff and i drift of. Honestly, do all other teenagers go through what i am. I cant take it anymore. What shall i do if i dont feel comfortable talking to my GP or parents at all and none seems to understand or listen to me when i say i REALLY cant concentrate. I dont want them to think that i'm weird because i think theres something wrong wth me. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Answer 288 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Sam,
Well, whatever's the problem, you sound like an interested, enterprising, and determined young man. It's possible that you don't have more concentration problems than the average guy, but are ambitious and focussed on your work and feel the deficit more than others might, especially feeling more frustrated by it. Or, there are various possible causes for reduced concentration, including stress. Find some way to persuade your parents, possibly with the aid of someone at the school, to send you to a good local psychiatrist or psychologist for a comprehensive assessment, which is really the only way to clarify what is or isn't going on. A psychiatrist is trained to be better at considering physical / medical causes ' a psychologist could do psychological testing, which could be useful, too.
Only with a proper diagnosis is it sensible to consider if there are useful ways to improve on the situation. As you know, we can't really plan to solve a problem till we're sure what the problem actually is.
And they shouldn't think there's anything weird about a guy having something wrong with them --- as most folks at one time or another have something wrong with them, they should be pleased that they have a kid with the sense to recognize when there is something wrong, and to want to do something sensible about it.
And when you have, however ingeniously, managed to get to see the srink, do let us know what he/she found and recommended
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18678 votes