Question

I'm built small but want to be buff!

I am built quite small, I am very thin no anorexic but I do have a fast metabolism. I am of medium height and I want to be big and muscely without having to go to a gym. I do swim a lot, I'm a competive swimmer and I'm finding that I'm swimming against guys that twice my size and I am at a disadvantage. I'm only 16 but the rest of the guys in my school are strong and I am not!
It's not that I don't want to go to Gym it's that I don't want to go when I am scrawny.
Please could you suggest some exercises I could do at home!

Thank You!

Hi Jean

Whilst you might be very aware of being scrawny - I'm sure many envy you - so don't be too self-conscious about the whole thing. You can certainly start on a home programme, but don't feel that all eyes are on you in the gym - people are too busy worrying about themselves!!

I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and do the free home-based programme, (in the fitness page) "Shape up for Summer". There are many different cardiovascular options with great goals from which to choose, as well as a range of resistance exercises you can do from home, which can help to build you up. If you then decide to venture into a gym - try war on wobbles (ignore the title though!).

Also perhaps consult with a dietician to see if she/he can help you to choose the correct foods to try to increase your lean mass somewhat.

Good luck!