Question

02 Apr 2007

I'm getting more&more afraid of insects
Hi CS,

How are you?

Well, it all started with this one little "gogga" at my house, well it was hard and say about 5mm x 5mm with 3 little red spots on its head - it attacked me can you believe it? I had to run through the whole house and it still followed me everywhere - it even sucked my blood a few times - REALLY!! I eventually killed the thing and it wasn't easy - I folded a small blanket with it inside and used my fist at first (still wasn't dead) closed the blanket again and used the back of my hairbrush and squeezed it dead (was still a bit alive after that but eventually died)!! Whenever I hear an insect I freak out and look around me and just sit there and stress about it! It's like the stupid goggas don't want to leave me alone! To make it worse - a bat flew into my house the other night - I pushed baby's dad out of the way (with his knee almost out of order after the accident) and screamed my way to the bathroom - I was shaking for about an hour afterwards - 10 minutes after it happened I went out to smoke a few sigarettes (yes a few!!) and a cricket FLEW (never thought it can fly) past me - it was huge!! It jumped towards me and again I had to ran!! It made the shaking even worse! At work I also look under my table every 10 minutes and under my chair and look around me to see if there's any spiders and stuff like that - there's a lot of spiders in this office - big fat ones and they're always here - I'm so freaked out about it! Yesterday there was a fly (didn't see it at first) but I jumped to the other side (thought it was the same type of gogga as the first one I told you about) and was shaking once again! I hate the fact that I'm afraid of this ugly creatures - I don't want to look over my shoulder and under my table every now and then! At night I go inside the house as quickly as possible - I don't even want to open the door for a bit of fresh air! I hope someone can hypnotise me??!!

OK, after a frightening experience with an odd insect, you seem to have developed a phobia for insects --- this can be cleared up quickly and efficiently by --- you guessed it, CBT. Cognitive-bhavuiour Therapy is ideal for this sort of thing, and the earlier you start it the better. Much better than hypnosis --- and with results that last and which you can adapt to other circumstances, unlike hypnosis