Question

i'm naturaly thin & want to gain weight
Dear Doc

I am a skinny boy who is even scared to check how much i weigh. My parents says i am naturally thin but this bothers me since i am getting taller and taller but not gaining any weight. Briefly i am now looking like a long pole (approx. 1.9 in height but weigh approx. 45 kg.) I have tried eating alot for some years now, but it doesn't seem to work. Furthemore, the food that i eat are healthy ones 'cos i got the advice from the internet specialists. I no longer have confidence in my self, i feel as if people are always talking about my thinness. I could write a book about how i feel but i think that this would be enough for you to have a clear understanding of my situation.PLS: i am getting taller and thinner and that bothers me. I have even done the HIV test 'cos i thought that maybe i am HIV+ but i found that i ma not. PLS help me.

You help shall be highly appreciated.

Dear Tau
You don't mention how old you are, but I presume you are still in your teens? Even if you are in your early teens your BMI of 12,5 is far, far too low. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. When you see the dr, ask him/her to also check out any other hormonal conditions that may be preventing weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.
I am holding thumbs that you will now gain some weight. Many of my other Readers who have been struggling to gain weight, have reported back that the use of meal supplements makes them gain the weight they desire.