Question

IBS
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH IBS AND MY DOCTOR PRESCRIBED ZELNORM. I HAVE BEEN TAKING IT FOR SEVEN DAYS NOW BUT AM STILL CONSTIPATED. WHAT IS ZELNORM AND WHAT IS IT SUPPOSED TO DO???

I HAVE ALSO BEEN SUFFERING FROM A BURN LIKE PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK FOR 2 MONTHS NOW. THE DOCTOR SAID THAT THIS IS DUE TO THE IBS.

AFTER I TAKE THE ZELNORM THAT PAINS IN MY LOWER BACK GET WORSE. IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD I GO BACK TO MY DOCTOR??

PLEASE ADVISE.
Pharmacist
pharmacist

Hi Lynda,

Zelnorm contains tegaserod, a drug that increases the action of serotonin in the intestines, speeding the movement of stools through the bowels. Zelnorm is spesifically used to treat severe, chronic, irritable bowel syndrome in women who have constipation as their main bowel problem. Note that zelnorm does not improve the symptoms of IBS for everyone - If you do not see any improvement in your symptoms after 4 to 6 weeks, talk to your doctor.

If the pain in your lower back does not dissapear soon or if it gets worse I'd recommend contacting your doctor.