Question

IBS

I would like to know.

I have experienced no abdominal pain, only a lot of gas (constant every 5 minuts for hours) straight after meals, also a feeling of something stuck in my rectum and some stomach rumbling. I have been dealing with anxiety. I want to know if it is possible to have IBS without abdominal cramps and pains. Also my stools are not hard or watery but soft and light brown/yellow.

Hope you can help me.

Kind Regards,

Dear Luane
IBS can produce a variety of symptoms depending on the individual patient. There are at least 2 distinct variations namely: IBS with diarrhoea and IBS with constipation. You may have IBS with a tendency to diarrhoea. It is important to have a medical examination so that the doctor can diagnose what is causing your symptoms (IBS or some other disturbance of the digestive tract). The dr will prescribe medications if this should be necessary. From a dietary point of view click on ‘DietnFood’ at the top of this page, and then on ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. Read the articles on ‘Probiotics’ too because the use of ‘good microorganisms’ can help a lot in IBS. Try Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a registered dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Stress is a factor associated with the development of IBS, so it may be a good idea to also consult a clinical psychologist to teach you how to deal with stress in ways that do not harm your health. Doing relaxing exercises and deep breathing are recommended, as well as a relaxing from of exercise such as yoga or going for walks in the fresh air. I hope that this helps you with your problem.