Question

24 Apr 2006

If you cut out milk must you cut out eggs
My daughter is trying a milk free diet and has been told (by friends) she should also cut out eggs - is this true and, if so, what is the link?

Dear Sue
No there is no reason to cut out eggs if your daughter should be sensitive to milk. But I sincerely hope that the reason why your daughter is cutting out milk (which is such as essential part of the diet), is that she has been diagnosed as milk sensitive or allergic or lactose intolerant by means of allergy tests, not just because she has heard this may or may not help with various conditions. Self-diagnosis of allergies and sensitivities is potentially dangerous and may lead to cutting out the wrong foods and creating dietary deficiencies. For example, by cutting out all milk, your daughter will not be able to obtain the 1000 mg of calcium she requires on a daily basis and will have to take a calcium supplement like Calcium Sandoz or Caltrate. Rather let her ask your dr to send her for allergy tests and depending on the results, then cut out any foods she may be allergic to, if this should be the case - she could also be allergic to hundreds of other allergens such as grass, animal hairs, preservatives, etc.