Question

iliopsoas muscle rupture
I was just recently diagnosed with an iliopsoas muscle rupture in my right hip. I was a ballet dancer and had to have the muscle released in 2004. I sneezed three weeks after the surgery and tore the muscle completely. I am seeing a doctor in Nashville soon, but was wondering what the recovery would be like if this could be repaired? I can't find any information this type of injury or surgery procedure and would like to have an idea of how long it might take to recover from this type of surgery. Thank you for your help.

Hi Elyse

It is an unusual injury. And as you will have seen, it can be affected by something as simple as a sneeze (or worsened, as the case may be). So there is never a definite period. However, in general, you are looking at at least a month until you get some form of 'normal' movement - remember that 'normal' is relative, so what is normal for dancing is quite different from a sedentary person. But about 4 weeks of rest and basic rehab, and then you begin with the complete rehab.

What is important, however, is to get the doctor's who are working on you to understand the situation - they must provide the prognosis, the treatment time and the rehabilitation. You will know from the past experience that after surgery, you have to be very careful, so rushing things never works. But work closely with the doctors and the subsequent rehab team, and I'm sure you'll make a full recovery.