Question

I''m stuck
Dear Habib,

I''m a 35-year-old female with two kids, the youngest being an 18-month-old. I currently weigh 64 kgs and I am 1,67 meters tall. I was extremely unfit so about three months ago, I began making some changes. I took up the Shape 10 km challenge. It is a 12 week challenge and the aim is to run 10 kms at the end of the challenge. I am currently in week 12 and on average I''m running 9 kms on my treadmill, three times a week. I also started taking Omega 3 every morning and one CLA tablet three times a day after meals.

In the beginning, I lost weight quite quickly but I''ve been stuck on my current weight for about four weeks. I''ll confess, I do sometimes have something sweet to eat here and there, but overall I follow a healthy diet. I really would love to lose another 4 kgs. I work long hours and being a mother of two kids, I really just can''t go to the gym, which is why the treadmill at home really is a big help to me. What can I do to lose that last stubborn few kilograms? Are there any diet changes or exercises that you can recommend? I am overall happy with my body but my tummy is definately my problem area. I would really appreciate your advice.
Fitness Expert
Fitness Expert

Hi Melinda,

Congrats on getting this far!

I would incorporate some body weight exercises at home if you don't have access to the gym (push-ups, sit-ups, tricep dips, lunges and squats). Without a comprehenisve physiological explanation - muscle toning aids in a reduction in fatty acids and glycerol (body fat).

In addition, to lose that 'stubborn fat', i would try and go to maximal threshold during the last km of your run or last 10 minutes of your exercise routine. Going to your maximum is where you usually see the benefits, whether its for toning, cardio, running, flexibility or speed.

Try and focus on this for the next 2 weeks and let me know how you go.

Regards,
Habib