Question

Impact on treadmill
Which surface is better for running ie treadmill or road? I run longer when on the road yet seem to hurt more after twenty minutes on the treadmill especially if I run hard.

thanks for your time

Hi t

Yes, when running on a treadmill, whilst it may feel softer - there is actually a bit of "rebound energy" that seems to go back into the legs rather than being absorbed by the treadmill (less shock absorption almost) - therefore, I would recommend most of your training be done in the road. Similarly, track athletes don't do all that much training on the tartan track for the same reason (they end up with bone strain injuries).

Hope this helps.