Question

IN-LAWS
My son is married to a women who is 70% deaf. She always thinks that our family talks bad about her. I now have nearly no contact with my son. Yesterday I phoned him after about 6 weeks, just to say hi and hear how he is. She started screaming in the background that she doesn't trust our family and that he must get off his mother's apron strings, etc. What is a mother's right the day that her son gets married or do you just have to write off your child. We are not interesting in talking about her, because there's nothing to talk about! I just wanted to say hello to my son!!

Dear Drienkie,
Yes, very annoying. Actually, there is some evidence that some deaf people do tend to get paranoid and suspicious --- because they can't hear what peple are saying, they may suspect the worst ; and, if, like this lady, they et angry and nasty about it, they can start to create the situation they fear --- people may eventually start talking about them, because of their nasty conduct ; and may say unpleasant things about them --- because they are being unpleasant.
Surely your son has a duty to keep explaining clearly to her that you and your family are not saying unpleasant things about her, and have not got bad feelings for her, but simply have the normal interest in his well-being that any family would have for their married son. There's nothing unreasonable at all about your calling and contacting your son.