Question

Incessant Coughing
Hi Dr. Bets

My 68 year old mother has these intense coughing bouts (intermittent). She has been put onto a Seratide asthma pump and her peak flow has increased dramatically (we have asthma and allergies in fam) but the coughing stays. Her heart is fine as she went to a cardiologist. On Xforge and they have changed the BP meds several times. On Topzole for reflux. Her chest X-rays clear. Thyroid and blood tests clear. She drinks a lot of coffee and I think it is causing the reflux to be worse? She is scared of throat cancer (would it not have shown up in blood tests)? Ex smoker stopped 6 years ago. Says it feels like she is choking and something is stuck there. Says sometimes she can''t swallow and it takes 4 tries. Where to now? An ENT or Pulmologist. GP can see nothing. Its a purely dry cough and occurs at any time of the day or night without warning.
Thank you
Cyberdoc

Hallo Tracey
She may have a post nasal drip that irritates the vocal cords causing spasm (choking feeling)The fact that she battles to swallow needs further examination, did they do a gastroscopy yet to look at the esophagus? Reflux can also cause spasm of the vocal cords, and damage to the esophagus with narrowing. She may also need to see if anything she eats or drinks (e.g. milk) worsens the symptoms. I think she needs to see a gastroenterologist first.
dr Bets