Question

Increased Alpha-Feta Protein Level
I am 17 weeks pregant and have just had the results of my Alpha-Feta Protein levels which have come back as 1:56. The doctor has also picked up on a scan three weeks ago a "band" in my uterus which he has never seen before. It is quite thick and seems to be attached from one end of my placenta to the other. Another trained lady was called in and she examined the baby via another scan and has confirmed that this is in no way attached to the baby. I have been booked to go to Albert Luthuli Hospital in Durban for a HRCT ultrasound to confirm exactly what this is. The doctor has guessed that this could be due to a multiple pregnancy that never formed. He has also said that this could be the reason why this Alpha-Feta protein level is high.
What do you think?

Worried!!

Heather

This sounds like an amniotic band and is seen from time to time. If it is not attached to the baby, it is usually nothing to worry about. This is due to a thickening of the membranes, not necessarily a multiple pregnancy. With a high alpha-fetoprotein, a spina bifida should be excluded. This will be done when you have the specialised scan.