Question

INCREASED CARDIAC RISK WITH CALCIUM SUPPLEMENTS
Hi Doc,

I''ve been reading the new research on the danger of calcium supplementation. Essentially, the results of the research is that there is an increased cadiac risk due to Ca supplementation. However, the same risk is not attributable to dietary calcium. About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with osteopenia and told to take a daily calcium supplement. I took about 600mg on most days, even though I was prescribed 1200mg. I did this mainly because I have a good diet and felt that I got the other 600mg from my diet anyway. I''m wondering about what the opinions of the experts are on calcium supplementation in the light of these research results. Should I carry on taking my Ca supplement?
.
osteopath

Hello Seetha,
It is very important that you take of your bone density. In order for best absorption of approriate bone building minerals I would advise you to consult a qualified nutitionist who can evaluation your bowel with tests and then close analysis of your diet.