Question

Increasing Bone Density
Dear Doc

I recently underwent a bone density scan. It was found that the bone density in my one hip, leg and elbow was quite low and that i was a prime canditate for Osteoparosis.

How would one go about increasing the bone density without using the conventional HRT medicine available?

Are there other more natural, and perhaps homeopathic products available?

OR

Are there natural foodstuffs that can be taken instead.

And what excercises can one do to aid in the prevention or slowing down of this?

Thank you

Anon
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

Hi Anon, thank you for the question.

As far as I am aware of you are better off using HRT to increase bone calcification as opposed to ‘natural’ substances. There are medications that help to accelerate the absorption of calcium by the bones and this may be an option for you. A healthy diet rich in vitamins and other vital substances (including calcium) is vital and I would consider daily non bearing exercises such as swimming and weights. My advice is to also post your question to the cyber doc on the expert panel on health24.com’s webpage.