Ask an expert

21 Jan 2013

Innerear fullness and vertigo
Dear doc
Just wanted your opinion please
I have been walking around with vertigo for the last 3 weeks , I''ve been to my gp a week ago, he could see my eardrum was red and swollen and treated me with penisillin and sinus meds , the meds are fininshed but the vertigo is not gone yet and it feels like there is water or something deep in my ear, when I swallow I can hear a crackling sound , the vertigo is worse when I move around or drive. I was just wondering , about 3 weeks ago I took a swim with my children and I jumped into the pool with them , I remeber a sharp stab in my ear (the one that''s now giving problems) when I hit the water , and the vertigo statred about 2 days after , can there be some water behind the eardrum from this episode ? can this be treated with otc meds or should I go back to my gp / ent doc ? It is realy frustrated to feel like this - thank you doc
Answer 246 views

01 Jan 0001


I do suggest that you consult an ENT specialist. The incident in the swimming pool could have caused irritation and damage to your middle ear. It is possible that your symptoms are due to inflammation, as well as fluid collected inside the middle ear. The specialist will be able to prescribe more spesific medication to treat your symptoms. Corticosteroids in combination with a stronger course of antibiotics will reduce the inflammation and reduce the pressure.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9247 votes
66% - 17731 votes