Question

insecurity
is it normal for partners to look around, give a good looking person from the opposite sex a quick up& down glance to see what they look like....or am i just insecure? he explains that he finds people interesting and just because he looks at them doesn't mean he wants them instead of me...but i'm not in the habit of looking at other guys, ugly or gorgeous - am i silly to expect the same from my partner?

Surely so ! All normal people look at other people, and maybe look more at interesting, odd or attractive people. Similarly, all people tend to look at beautiful views while they're travelling --- it doesn't meant that they don't like the view from their own bedroom window, but that doesn't prevent one from enjoying the appearance of other attractive views. So maybe you're not silly, but unrealistic in expecting your partner to be as uninterested in other people as maybe you are. As in Deubel's excellent example, woman often window shop happilly, without buying or even thinking of buying everything they see or even admire.