Ask an expert

19 Aug 2011

Instant nothing
From a step mother to nothing. I wrote a while back to get some advise on taking on my boyfriends daughter (7) after her mother passed away in a car accident. Everything was going great, we got her inrolled in a school to start next week, she is on my medical aid, we have her at the shrink. Tuesday we had her mom''s funeral and she seemed to take it well. Last night the aunt came to take her away with the social worker, as the mom told her boyfriend that if something happens to her, the daughter must stay by her sister. That is the main reason, and then they came up with all ckinds of crap in the court order about my partner. I know it is crap because I pulled the same stunt when my daughters father tried to take her when we moved to the Cape. Luckely my story had a happy ending. My boyfriend is her legal guardian and she has his surname. We have a home and started to become a very close family. Now all that is gone. Please if anybody out there has advie on how to hanle this issue because my little girl is hurting, first no mother, and now no father to comfort her. We need to get her back so her life can start again. Please I beg of yu any any legal, shrink advise wil be so very much appreciated. Thank you
Answer 314 views

01 Jan 0001

I think the welfare / social workers would need to pay attention if the mother left explicit instructions in her properly written and witnessed will, but should not automatically assume the accuracy of claims that are essentially hearsay. And of course they should have checked what alternatives there were and what other arrangements may have been made.

And the bio-father has definite rights. If there are allegations against him, they have to be properly examined in court, and again, not just assumed to be true, especially if coming from someone who wants something out of it themselves.

Especially if the bio-dad is the legal guardian.

I don't see how an aunt's claims can be assumed to trump those of the biological father.

You need good legal advice ASAP, and check with the local Family Advocate's office too.

Phil seems to be reacting to somethin from his own history, more than to your situation.

Thank heaven nobody else is as "caring" as "solution" who seems to be intent on showing off in a cruel and negative way. If he/she keeps this up, they can be identified and blocked from participating in this forum.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.