Question

Insulin Levels
My Doctor advised me that my insulin level was 24 instead of being 8, I am on eltroxin at the moment for underactive thryoid glands, I have being gaining alot of weight, Can you please give me some advise with regards to how this affects my sugar levels and how serious this is , if it is.
Am I diabetic?

Dear Sund
The underactive thyroid, as well as the insulin imbalance can both contribute to weight gain. It usually takes 3 or more months for the Eltroxin to take effect, but if after this time you have not lost any weight, then I would advise you to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name and address of your nearest dietitian) because you may be pre-diabetic and the dietitian will help you with a diet that a) helps you lose weight (which should improve your insulin and sugar levels) b) prevents further increases in the insulin levels. He/she will also advise if you require medication for the insulin. Please discuss the use of exercise to combat both the overweight and the raised insulin levels.