Question

Insulin question
I was asked to go for an insulin test by my gynae. However, neither she nor the nurse in her office told me to fast before the test. I had a high result and was put on Glucophage. Three months afterwards, my GP asked me to go for another test and warned me that I must fast beforehand. This time the result was normal. Could the first result have been incorrect due to not having fasted? Or was all the difference made by the Glucophage? This was three years ago. Should I go for tests again? They are so expensive, and depletes my medical aid, and I don't want to have tests done if they are not necessary. I'm still overweight, but have started exercising, and don't feel so tired anymore.

Dear Marion,
Your first test should have been fasting for it to be accurate. BUT the signs of insulin resistance is tiredness, low blood sugar, "fogginess", weight gain. If you are feeling better, the Glucophage is probably doing something good. Maybe you could just check your levels about once in a year to make sure everything is oK. Insulin resistance can lead to diabetes if you don't treat it in time.