Question

Insulin too high - No carbo's for 2 weeks
My insulin was tested and the result was at 22. The dietician put me on a 2 week no starch, no sweets, no dairy diet. I drink 2 liters of water every day and haven't cheated at all. I've got 3 days to go and have lost approximately 3 kilos so far. I just want to know what happens next. I know that starch will be introduced very slowly into my diet, but how long before I can eat "normal" again? For example, will I be able to drink coffee with suger and milk? Will I be able to eat a chocolate? Pasta?

Dear Lizanne
Congratulations for losing so much weight - that is terrific. The dietitian will gradually reintroduce unprocessed starches (wholewheat bread, unsifted maize meal, high-bran cereals, oats, brown rice, pasta, etc) into your diet. This will take another few weeks. You will probably be allowed to use low-fat or skimmed milk in coffee, but the dietitian may advise that you cut out the sugar and the chocolates until you have stabilised completely. This will depend on your insulin test results. So be patient, you have already achieved a great deal and will progress even more if you give your body a chance to adapt to this healthier eating pattern. It may also help to do exercise on a regular basis - chat to your dietitian about this.
Keep up the good work