Question

Iron deficiency and weight loss

I have been diagnosed with an iron deficiency, and a possible underactive thyroid. Also, I am struggling to lose weight. What type of diet should I follow to lose about 10kg, whilst also attending to the iron deficiency problem? I am particularly curious about food combinations - which combinations could possibly add to the problem, and which could make a positive difference?

Dear Tania
For the iron deficiency you need to eat meat, liver, fish, egg yolk and fortified breakfast cereals and dried fruit together with a good source of vit C like orange juice. I trust that you are also taking a good iron-folic acid supplement like FeroFolic? If not, then ask your dr for a prescription. You will have to be patient because it takes about 3 months to replenish your iron stores. If you click on 'Diet & Food' and 'Weight Loss' and 'Slimming Diet' you will find a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet which will help you to lose weight - you wil see that all the above mentioned foods can be used. When your anaemia is better and you have more energy you can also start doing regular exercise like brisk walking in the fresh air or join a good gym