Question

Irregular heartbeat and oedema
I saw cardiologist on 28/06/05.
Went for chest X-rays and Doppler Ultrasound tests on 29/06/05.
Apart from the irregular heartbeat, all is clear, but there is still no associated symptoms for the oedema. Must go to pathologists on Saturday for diabetes, thyroid, kidney etc test.
How dangerous is irregular heartbeat? He said I must walk a lot and gave me coron to help regulate the heartbeat. BP is 140/90, weight 117kg.
HeartDoc

Dear Piesang,

I can’t give you a definite answer, mainly because you do not say what type of irregular heartbeat you have. Some kinds are innocuous, others need to be treated. What I can say is that unless you are very tall, you are probably quite overweight, and your blood pressure is raised. Overweight, high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat when put together can prove quite a problem.

Exactly how dangerous this is I cannot say, as I have no other facts about you. Your cardiologist will be able to give you that information, as he will have all the clinical facts available. In general, though, you can remove two potentially dangerous elements by controlling your BP and losing weight. I do not know what Coron is, and can find no reference to it in the list of approved drugs for SA.

I hope the results of your tests are all normal, and that your heart and weight problems will soon be sorted out.

HeartDoc