Ask an expert

05 Jul 2011

Irregular periods / blood tests to determine whether menopause is impending
Good Day GynaeDoc,

TWO YEARS ago, on the 2nd day of my period, I had blood tests to determine whether I was approaching the menopause:

The results were as follows:

Oestradiol = 228 pmol/l
FSH = 14.8 IU/l
LH = 5.3 IU/l

I was simply told that I was not yet in the menopause. I could see from the results, however, that my FSH level was very high for the SECOND day of my period. Is this not indicative that the menopause is indeed approaching?

I asked a gynaecologist to measure my reproductive organs to determine whether they were starting to shrink as I thought this would throw light on whether the menopause was close at hand.

He obliged but was vague and simply said that my womb would, in any case, be smaller than average because I have never had children (it was 6.7 cm). My ovaries were also " slightly smaller than average" . He was quick in pointing out to me, however, that the sonar showed that there were 3 ripening follicles and that I was about to ovulate.

Two years and two months have passed since then and my periods are still irregular. I have been told that this is due to an ovarian cyst on one of my ovaries (which is now being monitored). I still can''t help thinking that it is due to the peri-menopause, however.

I would really like to know for sure what is happening. Would it be a good idea for me to have the blood tests REPEATED that I had done two years ago now that I have a base line hormanal profile?
Answer 421 views

01 Jan 0001

The most important question is how old are you. If you are over 40, then menopause becomes more likely. You are bright that the FSH is high, but then I would have expected your periods to have stopped altogether by now. Also if you were about to ovulate, that does not fit with menopause. Your sympoms do not really fit, so the first thing to do would be to repeat the hormone tests.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.