Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- ADHD Expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Asthma Expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Cough Expert
- Oral health expert
- Depression expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
- Oral health expert
- Sex expert
- Sinusitis Expert
Irregular periods after emergency contraceptives
I am married 26 years old woman and I always used to have regular and perfectly normal periods before and after marriage ( its been 2 years of my marriage). Last year in September I took emergency contraceptive that contained Levonorgestrel and after that for about 5 months I did not get my periods and my pregnancy test was also negative. When I got my periods they stayed for about 18 days and after that I never got periods on time and the length of my cycle usually around 45 days and I bleed sometimes very heavily and my sanitary napkin got dirty within 15 minutes and sometime the flow is very less and the spotting stays almost everyday. Sometimes I got very large blood clots during bleeding. I took advice from doctor but she said it is because of hormonal imbalance and will become normal after sometime, but its been more than a year and I never got normal periods. I want to have baby next year so want my periods to come to normal length. Kindly advice me the reason for abnormal periods and best thing I can do to make them normal.
I can't tell without an examination why your periods are abnormal. If you saw a doctor and there were no problems, then a hormone imbalance is most likely. This can sometimes be sorted out by using the Pill for a few months.
However, if you are planning a baby, it may be best to have a full gynae check.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers identify physical features that could make someone a Covid-19 super-spreader
- Man's 'heart attack' caused by a battery - which he swallowed intentionally
- Tortoise and the hare: Why a Covid vaccine is outrunning its HIV counterpart
- Supersets save time in the gym - which may help you reach fitness goals faster
- A giant, writhing worm was spotted on a sonogram inside a man's stomach - not for the faint of heart
- Ace steps aside, or gets pushed: New legal opinion demands ANC must act against him
- Public sector unions want their day in court for precedent-setting wage case
- Hospitals in Eastern Cape, Garden Route taking strain as doctor warns of 'Covid-fatigue'
- PICS | Carcasses sprawled across Modise's farm as the stench of rotting flesh clung to the air
- Heat rises on De Kock as Proteas' growth pains continue
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17870 votes