Question

25 Oct

Irregular periods after emergency contraceptives
I am married 26 years old woman and I always used to have regular and perfectly normal periods before and after marriage ( its been 2 years of my marriage). Last year in September I took emergency contraceptive that contained Levonorgestrel and after that for about 5 months I did not get my periods and my pregnancy test was also negative. When I got my periods they stayed for about 18 days and after that I never got periods on time and the length of my cycle usually around 45 days and I bleed sometimes very heavily and my sanitary napkin got dirty within 15 minutes and sometime the flow is very less and the spotting stays almost everyday. Sometimes I got very large blood clots during bleeding. I took advice from doctor but she said it is because of hormonal imbalance and will become normal after sometime, but its been more than a year and I never got normal periods. I want to have baby next year so want my periods to come to normal length. Kindly advice me the reason for abnormal periods and best thing I can do to make them normal.

27 Oct

I can't tell without an examination why your periods are abnormal. If you saw a doctor and there were no problems, then a hormone imbalance is most likely. This can sometimes be sorted out by using the Pill for a few months.
However, if you are planning a baby, it may be best to have a full gynae check.