Question

Is anal sex safe?
Hi I am 19 y old at university, a friend and I have been masturbating together for a while now, and we recently started giving each other oral sex, we are not gay, but just exploring.
He asked me if I would have anal sex w him, but I dont know if its safe.
I've heard rumours that men who do that have damaged thier bodies, and now have to wear napies, because they cant control their number 2 anymore. Is that true?
I also think that it would be extremely painful, and possibly messy, what precautions should be taken? (assuming that were both HIV negative)
Teen expert
teen expert

Hi there,

first of all anal sex will not damage the anus to the point of incontinence unless something was repeatedly inserted that is very large - i.e. something considerably larger than a penis. However, anal sex can be painful, and it can take time for you and your body to relax into it. You will definitely need lubrication, and it shouldnt be messy as long as you have had a shower and washed your butt!

As far as precautions are concerned - you should never assume about someones HIV status - so if you don't KNOW someones status then please always use a condom.

Lots of people, gay and straight engage in anal sex and as with any sexual act practice makes perfect!

For further information post a question to our sexologist here at Health24