Question

Is chronic medication necessary for stress because of epilepsy ?
My husband used to suffer from dormant epilepsy (petimal?), and was on prescribed medication. He stopped the medication about 2 years ago, because he tested fine. He has been suffering alot of stress lately, and has been overworked. He started getting pains in his chest etc. Fearing that his petimal had returned we consulted a doctor. The doctor said it was highly unlikely that his petimal had returned, and put him on stree tablets (Espiride), which has calmed him down alot, and there are no more "stress" pains in his chest. I called the doctor to tell him the drugs were working, and where should we go from here. He told me that if it works he has to remain on them, and that we should apply to our medical aid for a chronic medication application. I don't want my husband to take prescription drugs for the rest of his life !? Is it really necessary ? Can't my husband just learn to deal with his stress like the rest of us ?

Concerned, your husband might have a lot more stress than you do and maybe you would have reacted the same if you were in his shoes, so don’t be too critical of him. There is no reason why he should stay on the medication forever, but taking it for at least six months would be a good idea. Your doctor suggested the chronic medication option in an effort to save the money allocated for day-to-day expenses. Good luck.