Question

Is having the same religious views THAT important?
Hi, I have been married now for 6 years. We got married in a Christian church. I was raised Catholic and his family is Anglican. Religion was never that big a deal, as we were not practicing our religion (I had bible studies but we don’ t go to church or anything). But now he’ s been reading this book that has not turned him against God, but more against religion. The book is about conspiracies with religion, lizard people, etc. I think the book is rubbish but he has taken it like the gospel- nothing I say can convince him otherwise. We have these huge fights about them. He tells me though that he doesn’ t want to fight about it because religious views doesn’ t make a person a good person, he loves me (the person). I however cannot come to terms with this. He asked if he had to decide to become Muslim or something, would I be so angry and I said no, because those are PROPER religions and not some rubbish that some guy has written (I even did hours of research, trying to find some sort of thing that makes the author of the book he is reading not a complete liar, but the only site that doesn’ t say he’ s a fraud, fake, liar is his own site, but when I told hubby that he said that this author is being persecuted). But anyway, when I said that at least the Muslim religion is a proper religion, he got all sarcastic and said that it’ s OK because it’ s established and this author isn’ t. So now he thinks of this guy as a religion??! I’ m sorry but I cannot handle it! Is religion that important? I can’ t help but wonder when we have kids, would they go to church, would my hubby tell them of the Illuminati, etc and not God? It’ s freaking me out.

There is a significant difference, indeed, between Religion and God. Some of the most awful things in human history have been done in the name of God, perhaps of various Gods, without representing the expressed views of any deity I know of.
Lizard people, though, I know nothing of, and it makes the book in question sound like conspiracy theory nuttiness.
Sometimes a person seems to feel a powerful urge to BELIEVE in something, anything, and lights upon such a nutty set of argmunets, and chooses to believe in something unbelievable.
And from the sound of it, this lizard-author is taking the typical path of the intellectual fraudster, dismissing all sensible criticism of their daft views, as self-glorifying "persecution", which of course assumes that he and his views are so supremely important that anybody would take the time to persecute him. And it, avoids answering any of the presumably cogent questions that arise.
I happen to think that it is worth distinguising between major religions that have stood the test of time, and tiny self-invented "religions" concocted in someone's back yard, usually with self-aggrandizing and highly convenient beliefs - like the guy currently being sentenced in the USA who invented his own "religion" that justified his paedophilic wishes to marry very young girls, and who now moans that his religious freedoms are being breached.
Either your husband has long held such oddb all views, and hid them before now, or he is developing a degree of gullibility that makes him vulnerable to such exploitation.