Question

Is it enough?...
I was just wondering, I've started doing pilates a month ago, 2 times a week(hour long class). Will this be enough to lose weight and tone or must I do some kind of cardio exercise with the pilates?Secondly, what is the difference between yoga and pilates? I see at the gym there is a class called Piyo (mixture between yoga and pilates), will I benefit from this class?

Thank you in advance
Sandra
Pilates instructor

Hi Sandra

If your primary goal is to lose weight you will need to make some dietary changes and do some other exercise as well as your Pilates. Ask a Biokineticist for advice if you need help. Pilates will help you tune your attitude toward health and help in toning and strengthening muscles which all helps in weight loss.

Yoga and Pilates are sometimes similar in the actual positions that are assumed but the principles are very different - I believe that Pilates Inspried exercise has the best of both worlds - biomechanical evidence (science) and the mind-body link that improves the effectiveness of any pusuit.

A final word - your Pilates experience is as good as your instructor is, so choose one well. It is always better to start training privately then move to group classes. If you need help in locating a well-trained Pilates professional call Equilibrium Pilates 021 930 7447.

James