Ask an expert

28 Jun 2005

Is my daughter flat footed
Dear Doc,


I fear my daughter may be flat footed. Her father was when he was little and had to go for therapy to correct it. I'm divorce and not on medical aid and worry that she may not be able to do ballet or take part in sports if she is. She is four years old and will be turning 5 in October. Because I'm not on a medical aid, I can't really afford to take her to a podiatrist. Is it true that you can get corrective shoes through green cross (at certain pharmacies) which can correct this problem?? If not, what else can I do to fix the problem or is the podiatrist my only hope??
Answer 395 views
Foot expert

01 Jan 0001

I must say two things
Firstly flat footedness in children is only a problem when the child is battling from a related symptom, like pain in the feet or any site from the feet to the lower back, or if flat feet are causing them to avoid sport and activity. Ballet will be an excellent therapy for flat feet as she will be taught to raise her foot when she dances. The same is true if she would prefer a martial art like karate,
Second yes the podiatrist is your best bet, as they will be skilled to provide you with the answers you are seeking.
Remember true flat feet are quite rare, do this quick test, ask her to stand on tip toes, in most cases the arch will form and be visable, if she cannot do this get to the podiatrits even quicker
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.