Question

Is my dog allergic

My Labrador bites its feet everyday as if it is itching. I have tried all different kinds of food and it goes away for a while sometimes but then it just starts all over again, I am clueless.

He also started biting the top end of his tail now to the extend that it is bleeding, I am not sure if this is related.

Hes injections is updated and he gets dipped at least every two weeks.

This may be as result of an allergy (like to grass), but it may also be a bad habit. If the feet are red and inflamed, it is more likely an allergy (unless the chewing is causing the redness).

Many dogs, especially certain breeds like Staffordshires, dachshunds and fox terriers develop habits of chewing their feet and nails.

In those cases, treatment must be aimed at modifying the behaviour and the behaviourist may be able to give you more information on this.

Alternatively medication aimed at obsessive compulsive disorder may also help. Please speak to your veterinarian about this.

Good luck!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town