Question

Is oats a derivative of wheat
I have a wheat intolerance and on eating certain energy bars I get the classic whezzing chest symptons, these are bars with no dairy products in it but contain oats and carbohydrate solids, could this contribute to my wheat intolerance, please help
Charlie

Dear Charlie
Although oats belong to a different plant family, they can give the same allergic symptoms as wheat, so if they give you these symptoms, STOP eating all oat products. You need to read labels very carefully and avoid anything that contains wheat, oats and those carbohydrate solids which are probably also derived from wheat. Use fruit bars for energy instead.