Question

ITB
Hi Doc,

How long does an ITB injury take to recovery? I have been out with it for more than 2 months now. I had gone for physio about 8 sessions and doing the stretching exercises they recommend but I still have the pain when running and walking (however when I do spinning I do not feel the pain, why is it?).It feels like I could walk with my knees straightened out.At one stage I couldn't feel the pain but when I started running, after 2 kays the pain was there. Please help, I hope this does not indicate the end to my running.

Regards,
Joey
Sports Injuries

Hi Joey
Welcome to the forum. You should Have felt some relief by now, all things being equal. But there could be other factors contributing to your problem. If your biomechanics (the way your leg is aligned) are out then that could be a cause. (An example would be if you are a pronator of your feet. ) A biokineticist or even a podiatrist could help here.
You mention that when running, your pain increases, but NOT when you are cycling. It's important to see where you are running. If you are running on a road with an excessive camber (or side slope) or even downhill running, could be causes, because it puts excessive strain on the ITB. You could try running in the middle of the road, but then you could be hit by a truck! Which would not be good. A good alternative here would be running on a track surface as they are generally flat.
If, after trying the above modalities and stretching and physio don't work, there are various medical options that help. One is corticosteroid injections into the region. Another is surgery, which is not too major.
The good news is that it doesn't mean the end of your running.
Dr P