Question

ITBS - How's ITBS handled and what to do to recover?
I've hurt my iliotibealband due to the wrong shoes. Got to the Dr, she gave me anti-inflammatory pills. Lay off for a week and started again. Fault!! How do you handle ITBS and what is the right way to recover the muscle and over how long period?

Hi Reinet

If your shoes are genuinely at fault, you might need an insert to change your foot strike! I suggest you go to a podiatrist who can check your biomechanics and see what the underlying problem is which they can then correct. Phone the Sports Science Institute to give you some names of podiatrists in the area (021 659 5644).

The ITB is a band, not a muscle and it can take quite some time to heal. I recommend you do an alternative form of exercise for a few weeks, then once you have the correct shoes or orthotic (support) in your shoes, gradually start running again (not through pain) - and build up gradually. If you have healed adequately and the "error" is sorrted out - you should be able to run injury free.

I'm disappointed at how your doctor handled the situation and I also recommend you get advice from Cyberdoc.

Good luck.