Ask an expert

20 Feb 2003

ITBS - How's ITBS handled and what to do to recover?
I've hurt my iliotibealband due to the wrong shoes. Got to the Dr, she gave me anti-inflammatory pills. Lay off for a week and started again. Fault!! How do you handle ITBS and what is the right way to recover the muscle and over how long period?
Answer 350 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Reinet

If your shoes are genuinely at fault, you might need an insert to change your foot strike! I suggest you go to a podiatrist who can check your biomechanics and see what the underlying problem is which they can then correct. Phone the Sports Science Institute to give you some names of podiatrists in the area (021 659 5644).

The ITB is a band, not a muscle and it can take quite some time to heal. I recommend you do an alternative form of exercise for a few weeks, then once you have the correct shoes or orthotic (support) in your shoes, gradually start running again (not through pain) - and build up gradually. If you have healed adequately and the "error" is sorrted out - you should be able to run injury free.

I'm disappointed at how your doctor handled the situation and I also recommend you get advice from Cyberdoc.

Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.