Question

Itchy but no rash
For the last month I have had excessive itching in my underarm area and my pelvic area. There has been no sign of rash just the redness from scratching or rubbing to hard because of the itching. I also have serious sweating issues at night while sleeping and wake up drenched- usually my head, neck and face and hair are soaked. I have been treated for the last 8 years for hypothyroidism, but that seems to be under control with meds. I am otherwise healthy and active. A bit more tired than normal, and feel pretty drained and cranky. There is a history of Hodgkins disease in my family, 2 cousins who are brother and sister are both in remission. What is the Genetic connection with Hodgkins? Should I be worried about this? Should I go to my doctor? I have ruled out my diet, deodorant, detergent and drink plenty of water so I don't know what is going on. My underarms do look more swollen? but I don't know. Thanks
skindoc

I assume that your thyroid status=function is normal. The cause of Hodgkin's disease is not known. As far as I know HD is not a hereditary condition. Itching in the underarm and pelvic area may be caused by subclinical=very mild skin disease. Two types of eczema occcurs in the area namely seborrheic eczema and contact eczema. The former is associated with eczema on the face. The latter is caused by contact with the skin-cosmetics, deodorants, creams, ointments, lotions, clothing, etc. You mention that your underarms look swollen. Perhaps this is related to some form of inflammation=eczema of the skin. Psoriasis and fungal infection should be ruled out. If you wake up at night drenched in sweat it is time to go and see your GP.