Question

Itchy right breast
Dear Doc

I am 49 years old and I think I might be going through menopause, as I have started getting my periods only every three months. I find that my one breast (the nipples) itch terribly and during my period it is very painful. Is this normal during menopause?

Thanking You
Christine

It sounds like you are going through menopause. Breast tenderness is certainly related to hormonal changes, but itchiness should not be. You should check your breasts carefully for any lumps. Also, at your age, a mammogram would be a good idea to screen for breast problems.